Law on entry, exit and residence of foreigner in Vietnam 2015
Since 1 January 2015, the Law on entry, exit and residence of foreigner in Vietnam has come into effect with many changes including 20 different categories of visa have been classified; the purpose of visa won't be converted from one purpose to another; changes in visa waiver regulations and some new prohibited conditions for entry and exit are also assigned.
Pursuant to a new immigration Law No. 47/2014/QH13 passed by the National Assembly of Vietnam, the Vietnamese immigration system will undergo several changes effective January 1, 2015:
1. New and restructured visa classifications
There are 20 different categories of visas and new durations as listed in the table below:
2. Change of visa purpose no longer permitted
According to Article 7 of the Law No. 47/2014/QH13, visa category is no longer converted from one purpose to another within the country. For instance, someone entering Vietnam with a tourist visa (DL) may not be able to convert it to a work visa in country (LĐ). Visa holders wishing to change their visa category will have to leave the country and apply for the new one from abroad.
3. New prohibited conditions for entry and exit
The new immigration law No. 47/2014/QH13 has also expanded conditions that will preclude individuals from entering and exiting Vietnam:
Prohibited conditions for entrance:
» Any person that was deported from Vietnam within the last 03 years;
» Any person that was compelled to leave Vietnam within the last 06 months;
» Any person presenting forging paper or providing false information to obtain entry, exit or residence permit;
» A child under 14 years of age traveling without an accompanying parent or custodian etc...;
Prohibited conditions for exit:
A foreigner’s exit will be suspended (up to three years) in the following cases:
» His or her tax obligations have yet been fulfilled;
» He or she is obliged to comply with an administrative sanction;
» He or she has been criminally charged or must serve a criminal sentence;
» He or she is a defendant or a person with related rights and obligations in a civil, economic, labor, administrative or marriage litigation case;
4. Thirty (30) days interrupted between 2 entries for visa waiver
According to the Article 20 of the Law No. 47/2014/QH13 any foreigners who enter Vietnam and are unilaterally granted visa free entry must have a passport valid for at least 6 months, and the entry date must be at least 30 days from the previous exit. Visa waiver citizens wishing to re-enter Vietnam within 30 days from the previous exit must apply for Vietnam visa for their return.
- Is this visa on arrival legitimate?
- How to get Vietnam visa on arrival?
- Can people use visa on arrival when entering Vietnam by land?
- What is visa approval letter (or visa pre-approved letter in other word)?
- What is the processing time for visa approval letter?
- How do I receive my visa approval letter?
- What is normal processing and urgent processing?
- Urgent Vietnam visa processing
- Vietnam visa exemption
- Advantage and disadvantage of visa on arrival