How long can I stay in Vietnam for tourist and business purpose?

Ten years ago, foreigners expecting to stay long in Vietnam can apply for 6 months or 12 months entry visa. At this moment, Vietnam immigration policies regulated that tourist visa valid until 30 days while business visas validity is 90 days.

You couldn’t stay longer than the validity stated in your visa except you have got your visa extended or renewed.  Vietnam visa extension can be done easily when you are in Vietnam and in the most case, your visa stamped at Ho Chi Minh airport will have its extension much easier and cheaper than visa issuing in Hanoi airport. The processing fee for more 3 months visa extension will vary from $45 to $180 depending on your entry port, current visa and expected visa extension. To apply for Vietnam visa extension, please contact us for further information.

People said that, Vietnam Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia can help to arrange 6 months multiple entry visa. However, at present, there is no regulation for 6 months visa validity available and we are not sure about it. In order to stay longer than 3 months in Vietnam, you might have to get a Vietnamese work permit and then apply for a Temporary Residence Cards (TRC) which valid 1 to 3 years.

Temporary Residence Card Vietnam


Who can apply for Vietnam Temporary Residence Cards:

• Members of a limited liable company with two members or more
• Owner of a one member limited liability company
• Members in the board of a joint stock company
• Foreign lawyers who have been licensed by Ministry of Justice to practice law in Vietnam as stipulated by law
• Foreigners having work permit, work in various kinds of foreign enterprises and representative offices of foreign companies.
• Professionals, students, trainees working or studying in national programs and projects signed between the ministries and approved by the government.
• Accompanying relatives (father, mother, wife, husband, children under 18 of the granting residence card person).

Required documents for Vietnam Temporary Residence Cards:

• 01 written request for TRC (form N7A), declaration of information on foreigners applying for TRC (form N7B) with photos (attached 02 photos sized 3×4 cm).
• 01 copy of passport or visa which is still valid (bring the original for comparison).
• 01 copy (bring the original for comparison) of legal record of the agency, organization or enterprise which gives sponsorship for the person requesting TRC. Depending on specific cases legal record may include Business registration Certificate or Investment Certificate or License for the establishment of representative office
• 01 copy of work permit (bring the original for comparison) in case it is required
• Proof document of temporary residence address from local police department
• In case of accompanying relatives, documents showing proof of relationship such as: birth certificates, marriage registration and family book are a must.


• TRC is valid for a period of one to three years.
• The duration of TRC is at least 01 month shorter than the duration of the passport.
• No TRC will be issued for person with passport valid for less than one year.


Share and Enjoy